Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Holiday report

Coming back to my current life, I realize I still haven’t written a single word about holidays. Which were, in some peculiar way, eventful.

As I probably wrote before, I spent 10 days In Italy, I the Alps the first few days with my friends, and then at my parents’ place, by the lake, the a couple more days.
I was planning to hike around the Mont Rose, which is like, my second home, so I feel confident doing it even on my own.

However, on the first two days, we were hit by such a storm that it became immediately clear that the summer-hiking season was over. For two days our mob phones had no tone, and we also black-outs that lasted for a couple of hours each time. We had fun anyway, simply by lighting candles and playing games (and drinking) all together.
Once the storm was over, I realized that it had snowed down to 1500 metres, which excluded any possibility of hiking.
Since from then on we had wonderful sunny days, I still managed to walk around on mountain paths, up to small lakes and refuges, trying to ignore a slight but disturbing ache in my ankle.
By the time I was to go back to my parents’ place, I was already walking limp.

Since the Bro was busy moving in next to the parents, I had to baby-sit his two toddlers practically 24/7, but I didn’t mind, it really gave me a chance to get to know better the kids. It was wonderful to spend our days by the lake, simply sun-tanning, swimming, doing some kayak and having drinks with my neighbours.

Until one day, around noon, the Panther (aka mum) and I walked in to find thieves indoor. They had forced the door, and I stupidly got in. As soon as they heard me, they run away, by pushing me (I was standing in the exit corridor).
This gave the final cut to my ankle, and on the next day the doc told me I have almost broken a tendon. Which means no jogging for two months, going to the physiotherapist, and a few meds against pain on the first week.

Furthermore, while they didn’t steal anything (there wasn’t anything to steal, anyways), the thieves made a real mess of the house, so the Panther and I spent two days cleaning up.

Holidays ended with the annual gala dinner that some family friends who own a magnificent, huge hotel by the lake throw on August 15. As always, it was a success, and I happily returned to city and to work on the morning after.

2 comments:

DDgirl said...

Dear all,

I am not happy about this post, it definetly misses something.
But, just to add a bit something to all what has happened, I'm suffering from a food intoxication, so it's a bit hard to concentrate.
I even missed the fact that it's been one year since I started posting, and it'll soon be time for the 100th post!!

I can ony hope you still like it!

Oh, and please, do shoot some comments if you feel like it!!

Take care

DDgirl

Anonymous said...

The posts are still fun! Keep writing!