Monday, November 26, 2007

You're the different one

Last Friday I was at the office, and since work was slow, I was IMing with Hatim, work fellow, basically about the few latest Prison Break episodes. Yes, not only I am a Whisteria Lane addict, I also watch Prison Break. So we were moaning over Sara, because Hatim, underneath his façade, happens to have a heart.

Hatim is not French, he comes from Morocco, which, to me, is almost the same thing: French is his native language, so…
Apparently he doesn’t feel the same way. That’s the exchange:
Hatim: “You know, somehow you made it easier for me… I mean, I’m less different now.”
DDgirl: “What do you mean? Elaborate please”
Hatim: “You see, before, it was the rest of the team, plus me. I was the different one, because I’m not French, plus I’m Muslim. And then you came, and it was you the different one, with the funny accent, different eating habits and so on. I mean, everybody loves you in the team, but somehow it made me feel more at home”

And somehow, this exchange made me feel more depressed.
It made me think of that Crash Test Dummies song, that says

Once there was this girl who
Wouldn't go and change with the girls in the change room
But when they finally made her
They saw birthmarks all over her body
She couldn't quite explain it
They'd always just been there

Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm
Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm

But both girl and boy were glad
'Cause one kid had it worse than that

'Cause then there was this boy whose
Parents made him come directly home right after school
And when they went to their church
They shook and lurched all over the church floor
He couldn't quite explain it
They'd always just gone there

Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm

You see what I mean? I’m not going to say I’m a freak, but I’m FOREIGNER. Like, I am so, every single minute I spend here. And it’s not going to change.
After all, it was Kevin who nicknamed me “Stranger” (he even added it on my facebook argh)
So this is my rant for today.

No comments: