Friday, March 20, 2009

Friends, hiking, goals

Over the last few days I spoke a few times with my friend Gaia, who currently lives in London. Gaia and I went to college and grad school together, and although we’ve never lived in the same country since grad school, we kept in touch, and she and her boyfriend Mark visited KS and I in Lyon, and we’ve seen them in London and Milan.
Last autumn she told me that, due to the crisis, they had lost almost all of their savings which they had invested in their company stock options and had gone down and down.

Now, Mark has lost his job, because his whole department has been shut down. He has a job offer in New Delhi and one in Singapore, and they’re probably moving there. Although Gaia still has her job, and doesn’t really risk losing it because she’s too smart, she’s going to move as well because she’s in love and they shall get married in September.

I am very sad at the idea they’ll be so far away, and I know it’s very very hard for her. Mark is used to have his family far from him, but Gaia is a typical Italian girl, very close to her family, and from London she often flies home to see them, which will be impossible from New Delhi or Singapore.
I really admire her, because I would probably cry and cry and give things up, while she reacts. But than again, I would be so unhappy outside Europe!!

This makes me understand that I should be more grateful for what I have. I’ll do my best to keep in touch with Gaia and to support her in her choices!

On other better news, I have plans for the weekend.
I should go mountaineering ski, and the idea is that we’ll hike 5 different summits all between 4200 and 4550 mt (between 13800 and 15000 feet more or less). In 2 days. The only issue is that the refuge where we should spend the night is closed, but there is a place a 4000, a kind of small hut (more a roof and 4 walls really) where we could sleep. Unluckily it’s unheated, and we should carry food and sleeping bags, which of course would make things tougher, but who cares? I can’t wait for it!!!!
Am I crazy because I feel that if I can do this I’ll have more self-esteem? Are those stupid goals? Probably yes. But who cares?

Wish me luck! And I hope you have a great weekend!

No comments: