Monday, October 08, 2007

A charge to keep I have

For the whole week, I thought about this matter almost all the time. I remembered whenlast year the Parents called me to tell me to go home, because Pops was dying, and there were no vacancies on the flights next morning, so I hopped on a train praying to see him again. While I was waiting for my coincidence in Geneva, the Sponsor called me to say Pops was gone. No one ever reproached me, but I never forgave myself not being there for him. When I finally arrived, it was a Saturday late morning. The funeral was planned on Monday, and when I called the HR woman at my old job, she told me if I couldn’t provide a certificate written in French, I did not have the right to take my Monday off. So I had to leave and I could not attend the funeral.
This, to try to explain what it means to me to not be able to hop on a plane and be home in two hours every time I wish so.

But life goes on, and so I went back to KS, to my daily life, to my job. Only, knowing something had changing, without being really able to explain anyone else what it meant. Once more, I realized how scared KS was to see me leaving, and I knew it was my burden, I couldn’t throw it on him. So I put a smile on my face and went on, I called the Bro to tell him I wasn’t going home for the weekend and tried to focus on work.

And work, lately, was simply great. Although I’m not on any special assignment, Karine, my boss, finally gave me the quarter evaluation, and I am proud to say it is excellent. The once boring hours of the early afternoon have been more funny thanks to Kevin who IMs me all the time.

All in all, September gave me new friends, a little flirt, and somehow made home 5 more hours far away from me.

No comments: