Friday, July 27, 2007

August falling stars: save a prayer 'till the morning after

In a week or so, I’ll be leaving for my yearly summer holiday in the Alps, where I’ll meet all those guys and gals I’ve been friend with for the last 15 years.
It’s a really heterogeneous group, where age varies between 20 and 26, education from those who only speak dialect to those who are taking an MBA or a PhD in Arts... You see what I mean? We only know each other because we’re “holiday neighbors”. But one thing we do have in common: we love to party.

As most of us also like 80s and early 90’s music, when this morning I heard DuranDuran’s “Save a prayer”, I couldn’t help thinking about our annual camping night.
Around August 10, we usually pack lots of alcohol, sleeping bags (those who own one!) and we all hike one hour or so, until we’re sure there will be no light pollution. Then we seek for wood, we start a good fire (always paying great attention, in order to avoid forest fires!!), and settle. The aim is to watch falling stars. However, in the few years we’ve been doing this, no one has yet seen one. This is probably due to the alcohol quantity we start drinking around 5PM. Also, most of the times we forget glasses or even plastic goblets, so bottles are passing from hand to hand, while we sing (awfully).

Now the thing is, during the years, before or later, each of us has ended up by snogging with at least a few of the others… And there probably have been also a few one night stands (not I, though…). So, when I think about “Some people called it a one night stand, but we can call it paradise…” of course I think about these occasions. What’s nice is that there has been almost no one who got hurt from those “escapades”, probably because anyone who would want to try something serious with someone else of the group would choose another occasion to step in!

Anyway, there is an episode where someone got kinda hurt, and that everyone still remembers.
A few years ago, I actually spent the night kissing one of my friends in a tent, and at around 4AM I stepped out seeking some water. Now, I wasn’t wearing my lenses, so I was pretty blind, and I tried to hurry in the fire fainting light (I was wearing only panties and a T-shirt and at that time at that altitude, even in August, it’s freaking cold), so I completely stepped over one of the guys who was wrapped up in his sleeping bag. It ended up being one of my best buddies, who was completely wasted and, thanks to the pressure of my foot on his tummy, started puking all around… Of course at this point most of the group thought I was making out with him, instead than with the other guy, and it really took quite a while to calm down misunderstandings!!!

Can’t wait to see what will happen next time!

No comments: