Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Girls night in

Yesterday night a “Home Spa & pamper-food” was planned at my place.
KS had some squash game with colleagues, so I planned with Maria in order to make the night a success.

I went home quite early (although I’m still working, everyone is on holiday and there is very little to do… lovely!), in order to prepare Maria’s (and mine) favourite finger-food: panzerotti.

Now I realize that almost everyone who is not Italian (and some Italians as well) might not know what a panzerotto is, so some explanation might be required, and, why not the recipe!
Panzerotti are a sort of small “calzone” (like pizza folded), although quite different. What I do (and did yesterday night) is to prepare a paste mixing flour (non self-raising!!), a little salt, water and olive oil. Then you let it rest one hour (or more) in the fridge, you take it out, level with a rolling pin until it is 2 mm high. Next, you cut squares of 5 to 7 cm sides, fill them in the middle with tomatoes, mozzarella, basil and ham (for those who eat meat, vegetarians like me, let out the ham), and fold into triangular shapes, closing the borders by finger pressure.

At this point yesterday night, Maria arrived, and we settled for the home-Spa. Basically this means she waxed my legs (she has had laser done to hers, so no more waxing, lucky girl!!), I scrubbed her back and applied self-tanning and so on. Oh, don’t forget vanilla massage oil at the end.
Of course, this was accompanied by some home made pop-corn, relaxing music, fruity drinks and plenty of candles everywhere. Total cost of the night, around 15 Euros (including dinner). Wow! Not to mention all the girls talk!!

Back to panzerotti, I preheated the oven at 200 Celsius, and baked until they got golden and smelled nice. By the time, we had chosen a movie (Orlando, btw, but I guess it’s not really well-known), and we had our panzerotti while watching it.

For once, a great night at home!

No comments: